Saturday, June 6, 2020

We Find a Kitten, a Bobcat Kitten

eBird list

Bob and I headed out to do a short walk in the Buttermilks today.  Not our usual hiking location, but the wind forecast was just too awful to go up into the mountains.  We wandered up the road, cussing all the non-native cheatgrass, and listening to the singing birds.  The birding was better than expected and we ended up with 24 species, Lazuli Buntings, Bell's Sparrows, and Black-throated Sparrows serenading us the whole way.

I heard an odd call as we were walking the road.  My first thought, was, is that something a shrike would do, so I walked towards the noise.  It kept getting louder and odder.  My next thought was barn owl?  And so I kept walking towards the noise.  The next thing I know a cat is running towards me.  Wait, what?  A feral cat out here in the middle of nowhere; that is not good.

No, not a feral cat, a bobcat kitten.  And it ran right up to my feet.  When it got to me, it had second thoughts and dove into a bush.  I had no idea what cute green eyes they have.  We snapped a couple of cell phone photos, and took a little video of its odd growl, and walked on, figuring its mom would be back soon.  On the way back to the car, we swung by where I thought the den was and found it.  Again, a kitten, but no mom.  That is somewhat concerning, so we messaged Wildcare Eastern Sierra.  Bobcats do hunt in the middle of the day, so hopefully its mom will be back to feed it later today, if not, it will get good care.








Sulfur Buckwheat




Cushion Buckwheat

Weston's Buckwheat

Beavertail cactus










No comments:

Post a Comment