Friday, June 5, 2020

We Finally See a Fritillary! And BTW, That is a Flower.


As some of you may know, I really like flowers.  Really a lot.  I have been trying to see a fritillary flower and any species will do.  We first tried for Greenhorn Fritillary, no joy there, although the rest of the flowers were lovely.  

On this trip we headed up to Hilton Creek as Bob had a GPS waypoint for Pinewoods Fritillary.  We, Susan, Bob and Hikin' Bill, walked to the GPS waypoint, and looked and looked, and looked and finally Bob found it.  They are much smaller than I thought.  Without the waypoint, we would never have seen this flower as we had no search pattern to help us.  After that we hiked up the trail a bit, had lunch with a view and started back down, when Bill found another Pinewoods Fritillary.  Oh my.  Many more photos were taken.  I was feeling pretty left out, when I finally found several plants, and then a couple more groupings.  Turns out, they are more common than I had suspected.

Pinewoods Fritillary!







Nuttall's Linanthus

Desert Peach






Wallflower


Looking down on Crowley Lake

Larkspur

White Mountains

Pale Agoseris

Our lunch view.





Bitterroot, Lewisia rediviva, yes those are grains of sand as this is a small flower.







2 comments:

  1. These pictures and all the IDs are just incredible! Thanks for sharing. We used to go to Crowley Lake when I was a kid, our grandpa would take us fishing...such fun memories!!

    ReplyDelete