Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Reviving a 100+ Year Old Hiking Trail

ebird list

While we were out looking at poppies with Kitty and Bill, she mentioned that Jack Sprat, a sometime stage coach robber in the 1870's and 1880's used to make a quick get away by taking the trail through Sand Canyon up to Lamont Meadows.  And later there was a mule packer in Sand Canyon that made trips up and over into the Sierra. I was incredulous.  I have been to the back of Sand Canyon forty plus times, and have tried to struggle as far up the canyon as I could.  I have always been defeated without getting very far.

I stated it couldn't be done.  The canyon was too steep, to have ever had a trail.  Turns out, I was very wrong.  The trail is shown on the 1919 and 1930 topo maps.  Bill, and Bob and modern topo maps plotted where they thought the trail would be on the ground, and then we hatched a plan to try the trail from the top to the bottom figuring if we couldn't find a way down, we could always go back to the car on top and admit defeat. I had such a nice time I would do it again.  The pre-dawn start was hard, but the scenery, history and birds were worth it.

The two old maps we based our route on:





Sunrise on Lamont Peak.  Did I mention we got an early start.
Our first three miles was on the PCT to the pass at the top of Sand Canyon.
Consulting the GPS at the start of the decent trail into Sand Canyon.
Yes, we are on the trail.

More GPS consultation as we look for the trail.


Mules ears.  Seems appropriate on an old mule trail.
We will head to the bottom of this canyon.
Yes, an old gate.  Definitely on the trail.
Grinding holes
Bill and Bob coming up a tricky part.
Left of the pine is where we came from.
Jewelweed
This brushy part wasn't my favorite.
And the brush just keeps on going and going.
This is one steep canyon.
Flannel bush


The flannel bush was the best I have ever seen.  It was wear your darkest sunglasses bright.  It was glorious, it was scenic, and I took many a photo.  Lucky you.  You get to see them in all their glory.  Fortunately, I'm only showing a sample of all the flannel bush photos that I took.  You probably don't believe that.
But first, a thistle to break up the yellow.







We came from where the rocky mountain meets the sandy ridge, way back there.


Bob and Bill on the old trail.
We have followed parts of the old trail in the lower canyon for years.  We were unaware that our trail was part of the original pack station trail.

That low spot on the horizon is where we dropped into the canyon.
Part of the pack station.



2 comments:

  1. You must have covered a lot of tough miles that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about 12 miles with some serious bushwhacking in parts.

      Delete