Sunday, June 25, 2023

A Mad Dash to San Luis Obispo for Calochortus

Clay Mariposa, Calochortus argillosus

We did a mad dash, one day blast, over to San Luis Obispo for calochortus (Mariposa Lilies).  I have been wanting to see the rare San Luis Mariposa in the worst way.  While we were there we also had the possibility of seeing Clay Mariposa and Club Haired Mariposa.  We saw two of our three species, and picked up a bonus, White Fairy Lantern.  It was a long, but glorious day.  And it all started at a Costco parking lot.  Who knew it provided convenient access to a trail system where we had a few old gps waypoints.  Right out of the car we found an abundance of Clay Mariposa Lily!  What luck! These are a mixture of photos from both of us.








We took a few other flower photos as we continued our search, but we were focused on the prize.

Botta's Clarkia, Clarkia bottae

Cardinal Catchfly, Silene laciniata


Hayfield Tarweek, Hemizonia congesta


Hayfield Tarweek, Hemizonia congesta


Fringed Checker Mallow, Sidalcea diploscypha


Orange Bush Monkeyflower, Diplacus aurantiacus

Pitted Onion, Allium lacunosum

After about an hour of tromping around and checking all our way points, I was reduced to taking photos of onions.  I like onions, so I wasn't completely despondent, ok, maybe I was, and then I found one!  The prize!  Oh my, they were tiny and hiding in the dried grass.  What a thrill it was to see this adorable little flower!  We spent over an hour with them.  Once I had found the first, and we had a search imagine, we found at least a hundred plants in the area.  While I managed to make my phone warm by taking so many photos, most of them were destined for the trash can.  Fortunately, Bob got some great ones.

San Luis Mariposa, Calochortus obispoensis













After our time with the San Luis Mariposa, we checked a few waypoints for Club Haired Mariposa -  nothing.  We had time to check another area on the way home, and while we didn't find Club Haired Mariposa, we hit the jackpot for White Fairy Lantern.  Not a bad way to end our flower searching day.

White Fairy Lantern, Calochortus albus












I also managed to add three birds to my San Luis Obispo County list.  I am now up to 247.  Guess I'll have to make another trip and try for 250.  eBird list







No comments:

Post a Comment