Thursday, February 1, 2018

Dome Mountain

Hike track link

Paul planned another fun And Day Hiker event.  We started at the upgraded and rededicated memorial to USAF MAJ Michael Adams, the fatality in a 1967 X-15 crash.  This was very interesting as I had no idea it even existed, or the X-15 program for that matter.



























Our group for the day.

Then we did a bit of 4x4ing out to the trailhead to Dome Mountain.  I wasn't really expecting much from Dome Mountain.  I thought it will be just another volcanic dome, but I thought I haven't been there, so I should go.  And it was just another volcanic dome, but the volcanic columns along the way were interesting, and the Artists's Pallet tuff on the way back, was lovely.  So, lovely in fact that I could spend a day just in that area.



































The remains of last years desert candles.    It must have been glorious.

















The fast group heads down.






Rachel and I explore the tuff area.

























No comments:

Post a Comment